Deadly Clash in Libya Rebel Capital

Local Editor
A deadly clash broke out in Libya’s rebel capital of Benghazi in the wake of the murder of their military chief, as the Gaddafi regime said Sunday it was in contact with rebel leadership members.
Four rebels were killed in the clash with a pro- Gaddafi group in Benghazi overnight, a rebel spokesman said.
“It was a long battle and it took many hours because they were heavily armed,” Mahmud Shamman said. “In the end we arrested 31 of them. We lost four people.”
He added the group, which suffered “about 20 casualties,” was rounded up for its role in organizing a prison break in Benghazi earlier in the week.
Rebel forces had surrounded the camp of the group linked to Libyan leader Moamer Gaddafi after they refused to obey an order from the rebels’ National Transitional Council (NTC) for all militias to disband and lay down their arms.
The clash follows last week’s assassination of rebel military chief General Abdel Fatah Yunis, whose death remains cloaked in mystery. The general was a right-hand man to Gaddafi before his defection to the rebel ranks.
While the rebels tried to quash rumors about the mysterious death of their army chief, the Gaddafi regime said it was in contact with members of the NTC.
“There are contacts with Mahmud Jibril (number two in the NTC), and (Ali) Essawy (in charge of external relations), (religious leader Ali) Sallabi and others,” deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaaim told a Tripoli news conference.
Gaddafi on Saturday night renewed his pledge “never to abandon” the battle, in an audio tape broadcast on state television despite NATO air strikes earlier the same day on the broadcaster’s headquarters in Tripoli.
The rebels, who have frequently denied having had any direct negotiations with Tripoli, sought to stamp out rumors by giving details on Yunis’s killing and bringing all militias under the control of the NTC interior ministry.
Meanwhile, the Benghazi villa of the murdered general was surrounded by checkpoints early on Sunday and no traffic allowed on the coastal city’s main highway.

French Defense Minister Gerard Longuet

South of Benghazi, rebels reported an attack by pro- Gaddafi forces on the southern oasis town of Jalo, but said it had been repulsed.
On the western front in the five-month-old armed revolt, Libyan rebels on Sunday took the village of Josh at the foot of the Nafusa mountain range.
The Nafusa region has seen heavy fighting between rebels and forces loyal to Gaddafi since the insurgents launched a major offensive this month in a drive on Tripoli.
NATO said its warplanes carried out 50 strike sorties on Saturday, with hits in the areas of Brega, Zliten, Waddan and Tripoli.
France said on Sunday it was committed to striking Gaddafi’s military assets for as long as needed for him to quit power, and called on Libyans in Tripoli to rise up against him.
“We say to Gaddafi that we will not ease our pressure and to his opponents that we will not abandon them,” French Defense Minister Gerard Longuet was quoted as saying by the newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche.
“Things have to move more in Tripoli… the population must rise up,” he added.

Source: Agencies
31-07-2011 – 15:19 | 175 View

River to Sea Uprooted Palestinian

About uprootedpalestinians

A displaced Palestinian
This entry was posted in Kadhafi, Libyan war, NATO. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s